I’ve announced 2011 to be my personal “year of cloud” with associated aims of:
- Consolidating my information storage/retrieval
- Moving things that I want to access to device independent places so that I can get them from my PC at work, my PC at home, my phone and the ipad I will surely buy in the next year
Here’s where I started
- A load of stuff in Exchange folders
- A load of stuff in gmail
- A load of RSS feeds
- A twitter feed on my phone
- An igoogle page with a different bunch of feeds
And on the blogging front – I have a WordPress blog (private) for this years reading project. An OU blog that I use for a variety of purposes. A test NCL uni blog that I had set up but don’t use. And to top it all there’s another blog in the eportfolio site that I have access to.
I’m not completely there yet: but i now have RSS and Twitter feeds into Google Reader, so I can browse anywhere – the ones in Outlook are to go. I’m having a jolly good look at OneNote whcih has spawned a number of work, and study notebooks.
And on the blogging front. Since I already have a WordPress Blog and app on the phone I may as well have another one and give up on the OU blogspace. There’s stuff in there that I would like to know I can keep – and though it may be foolish – I feel happier with this out of the VLE.
I’ve completely given up on bookmarking sites in webbrowsers, but may revist Diigo – especially as it has a nice toolbar for Firefox – so I can run this alongside our “institutionally approved browser IE7”.
My only fear at the moment is that I am only one step away from scanning my important documents and banning all paper filing… …that’s going a bit far.